Moving can be both stressful and frustrating, but it can be made a little easier with proper planning and the right supplies. Let us help!
Use the tips below to ensure an easier, more stress-free move:
- Label all boxes with the room in which it belongs and some key contents to remind you of what’s inside.
- Keep all objects from the same room together where possible. Move in will be easier and confusion reduced.
- Create a list of all items (boxes, furniture) for each room. This will help you confirm everything has been received for each room.
- Pack your valuables separately and plan to keep these with you.
- Pack as many items into boxes as possible, this will provide the greatest protection for your belongings and will ease the moving process.
- Always get more boxes than what you think you’ll need – you’ll need them!
- Put heavier items in smaller boxes for easier lifting. Lightweight items can go together in larger boxes.
- Position heavy items in the bottom of the box and lighter ones on top.
- Fill all boxes to the top, or use packing supplies to fill excess space.
- Wrap all items with paper to reduce scratching of items.
- Use packing paper, Clear Bubble Film, or Styrofoam peanuts to secure your fragile items.
- Reinforce all boxes with at least one strip of packing tape – both bottom and top of the box.
- Remove all light bulbs from lamps before packing.
- Leave clothes in dresser drawers and use wardrobe boxes to protect hanging clothes.
- Place all liquid containers in a sealed plastic bag to reduce the chance of leaking.
- Use moving blankets to protect furniture.
- Place large or heavy items in the back or on the side of the UNIT.
- Strap down all your belongings a section at a time using the channeling system inside all of our UNITS.
- Utilize straps to secure large items such as couches, refrigerators, dresser drawers, and entertainment stands.
- Create “walls” using boxes mattresses, etc. every few feet to keep items from falling.
- Distribute the weight of your contents throughout the container, wherever possible.
- Pack your hand truck (dolly) on the back of the truck – it will be there for unload.
- Place your most essential items (cooking supplies, some clothes, toiletries, etc) in a few boxes near the door so that you have access to them first when unloading.
- Always secure your UNIT by placing a lock on the container – you can even use two locks for additional security.
- Never pack or store any items that could cause a fire or damage to the UNIT. For example, DO NOT move or store any gasoline, chemicals or heavy machinery.
- Always notify UNITS at least five days in advance for scheduling a move so that we can ensure you have your items where and when you want them.
Review the UNITS Helpful Packing Supplies List for items you may need for your move. Just let us know what you need and we will deliver it when we deliver your UNIT.
We hope that these tips help make life a little easier! Please do not hesitate if you have any storage or move related questions. We are always here for you!
The friendly Team at UNITS Moving and Storage of San Francisco – East Bay
“I needed extra storage and fast. Donna was so courteous and helpful over the phone. I live in the area so they were able to deliver a UNIT the next day. The driver was prompt and friendly. The UNITS were solid and very clean. I just gave them a call when I was done and the UNIT was picked up the next day. Not only was the UNIT exceptional but their customer service was exceptional. They are a very courteous and professional service. I highly recommend UNITS Mobile Storage. Donna and the UNITS Team … thank you for helping my stressed out situation go smoothly.”
-Sharon C., Pleasanton, CA